¿Estás buscando nuestra oficina en México? Hiper-Gas.mx
banner

Where Does Propane Come From?

Learn more about this versatile and efficient energy source!

propane origin el paso, tx

If you’re looking for a cost-effective and reliable energy source for your home in Southwest Texas, propane should be at the top of your list.

Selecting propane is a straightforward choice. Not only is it efficient and adaptable, but it also boasts environmental advantages. By emitting fewer pollutants when burned, you can maintain a comfortable home while simultaneously benefitting the environment.

If you’re unfamiliar with propane, fret not. We have curated valuable information to aid your learning and deepen your understanding of this topic.

Where does propane come from?

The extraction of shale gas has resulted in a surge in propane production in Canada and the U.S. Propane is primarily obtained as a by-product during the processing of natural gas. This refining process involves the extraction of different gases, including propane, butane, methane, and ethane.

Natural gas processing accounts for 70% of the country’s propane supply, with the remaining 30% derived from crude oil refining. This dual sourcing approach ensures a reliable and diverse propane supply to meet the nation’s energy needs.

Propane is transported through a diverse range of methods, including pipelines, tankers, trains, and trucks. Upon arrival at bulk propane distribution centers, this fuel source is then distributed to local vendors, such as Hiper Gas, for further transportation.

Hiper Gas, located in the Greater El Paso area, is the go-to source for reliable propane delivery services. With our convenient Automatic Delivery, you can rest easy knowing that you’ll never run out of propane. We also specialize in professional propane tank installation and leasing. Trust Hiper Gas for all your propane needs.

What is propane?

Liquified petroleum gas (LPG) is the technical term for propane, with a chemical formula of C₃H₈. Propane was discovered by the renowned British scholar and industrial chemist, Edmund Ronalds, in 1864 during his exploration of the chemical components within crude oil extracted from Pennsylvania.

While conducting research on gasoline evaporation for the US Bureau of Mines in Pittsburgh in 1910, Walter O. Snelling made a remarkable discovery. He found that certain gases present in gasoline, including propane, could be converted into liquid form. Snelling soon realized that propane was the primary gas in this process. This groundbreaking finding led him to develop and patent a method for bottling liquid propane gas, which ultimately gave birth to the propane industry. Three years later, Frank Phillips of Phillips Petroleum purchased Snelling’s patent for $50,000, an amount that would be equivalent to around $1.4 million today!

In order to facilitate the detection of propane leaks, it is necessary to introduce an additive as propane itself does not possess any odor. Ethyl mercaptan stands as the optimal option for this purpose, owing to its unmistakable aroma reminiscent of rotten eggs. This pungent scent serves as an immediate alert to individuals in the vicinity, ensuring prompt awareness of any potential propane leakage.

To ensure safety in your home, it’s important to be aware of the distinctive smell of rotten eggs. If you happen to detect this odor, it’s crucial to follow these propane safety best practices:

Get the best propane delivery and service in the El Paso area! Become a Hiper Gas customer today.